Saturday, August 27, 2011

Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie.

By Request.

This recipe was inspired by Honeypie Cafe in Bayview, WI. 

After meeting my sister and her boyfriend at a local favorite, Honeypie, I had a less-than-pleasant dinner experience. I LOVE Honeypie and still do; on this particular night I just happened to order a special that wasn't my thing. Not bad food, just not something I'd order again (it was a zucchini-based dish, which I didn't realize, and zuch is my least favorite veg/fruit)
I was slightly dissapointed, not because I disliked my meal, simply because I spent more on a special than sticking to my favorites which are all cheap and delicious every time.

Because of my mood I ALMOST did not get dessert. I'm telling you. The waitress asked several times. I turned her down. We paid. 

But then, on the way out...I walked by the dessert case and impulsively purchased a slice of chocolate coconut pie.

great.life.choice.

I was heading to dinner at my sister's boyfriend's parents house two days later, and wanted to bring something as a nice gesture.

Of course, that pie came to mind, so I decided to try to recreate it.

And I'm happy to say it was a success. 

Here is the (loose, since I just kind of did it as I went) recipe:

The Goodies...
1. Crust:
  • 8 graham crackers
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 4-6 tablespoons melted coconut butter or spread (or butter, if you don't have coconut butter) 
 
 
2. Filling:
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 4 tablespoons corn starch
  • 6 oz semi-sweet baker's chocolate, finely chopped
  • 1 1/3 cup milk (I used whole, but 2% would also work)
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tablespoon butter (or coconut butter)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3. Cream Topping:
    •  1 cup heavy whipping cream
    • 2-4 tablespoons powdered sugar
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4. Garnishes:
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 1/4 cup slivered almonds (optional)
  • 1 bar Lindt Coconut White Chocolate, chopped (optional)



Procedure....


  1. Grease your pie pan.



2. Using a food processor or a mallet, crush your grahamys into a loose powder (not too small). Add the sugar and mix. Then pour in melted (coconut) butter until the mixture gets lumpy and sticks together. Yum.



3. Press the crust mixture into your pie pan. If you'd like, you can blind-bake the crust for 6-10 minutes at 350. But this could easily be skipped.



4. Choppy your chocolate. And try your best not to nibble.



...which is very difficult.
[I admit..I often purposely bake with one extra ounce baker's chocolate to make up for the amount I nibble while baking. teehee.] 



5. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar + corn starch



...and then add the chopped chocolate. 



6. In a separate bowl, whisk together your egg yolk + milk. 
this mixture looks/probably tastes icky to me




7. Add milky mixture to saucepan and fire-up the burner on medium heat. Prepare for arm workout.


 8. Mix constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Then cook for about one minute more. This whole process will take about 10-15 minutes. And the thickening will happen suddenly.


9. Toss in the butta and vanilla and give it one more good crank.


10. Use a spatula to spread the chocolate pudding filling over the crust. Lick bowl clean.


11. For a little extra crunch, cover chocolate layer with slivered almonds.


 ...and about a half cup coconut (again, optional)


...but why would you not...



12. Using a stand-mixer or electric beaters (or hand beaters, if you're REALLY feeling ambitious), add the powder sugar and vanilla to the heavy cream and whip until those glorious glorious 'stiff peaks' form). Welcome to heaven.



13. Generously spread that goodness all ova the pie. MmMMM.


and then..



14. Cover with another layer of shredded coconut. 



15. Chop this baby up, if you've got him...


and add your final touch !


VIOLA!




Yum. I normally don't like to compliment my own cooking skillz but dayum..this was a winner. Obviously I'm bound to love my four things (graham cracker crusts, chocolate pudding, whipped cream + coconut) when they are layered lusciously together.

So there you have it.
Make it. Eat it. Eat more. Pretend you won't eat even more and then do.

Enjoy your Saturdays, nonexistant readers. And stay safe NYC !

No comments:

Post a Comment